Life Coaching is a unique and effective approach to working with the particular challenges that adolescents face today. Life coaching is strengths based and does not stigmatize teens like being “In Therapy” would. We are often out in the world doing activities that the teen enjoys and getting a chance to talk about any challenges that might be arising on the way to achieving their goals.
Teen coaching is a mixture of goal directed life coaching, mentoring (behavior modeling), and counseling, depending upon the needs of each family. The coach works closely with both parents and teens to identify goals and obstacles and guide the teen towards a more self-motivated, passionate, and fulfilling life.
Who is it for?
Teen coaching is for the teen who may be struggling with big life decisions, is challenged by apathy or a lack of direction, struggles with relationships, has difficulty communicating or interacting with peers, parents, or authority figures, is having difficulty in school, is making a major life transition such as changing schools or recently moved, or may just need someone they can trust to talk to.
Why Teen Coaching?
• Strengthen Communication and Reduce Conflict. As your teen learns important skills, such as mediation, conflict resolution, and healthy emotional release, communication becomes clear and simple and conflict is reduced and can become an opportunity for growth.
• Have a More Loving Relationship with your Son or Daughter. When communication skills increase and stress and anxiety decrease, space is created in the relationship, which ultimately allows for more compassion, love, and understanding.
• Reduce the Everyday Stress of Parenting. With a teen coach you can relax more knowing that your teen has someone other than a peer who they can turn to to provide accurate guidance to life’s important questions.
• Get Help Overcoming Problems at School and with Friends. Most of the teenagers I talk to say that school and peer groups are the two major areas of difficulty for them. With coaching we can make dramatic and lasting changes in these areas so you feel better about your life and who you are in it.
• Become Skilled at Making Good Decisions and Sticking to Them. Learn all the skills necessary for grounded decision making and goal setting, which when applied, can completely change your life.
• Learn to Communicate Effectively and Resolve Conflict. Learn how to more effectively and clearly communicate with parents, authority figures, and friends as well as avoid unnecessary conflict and resolve what can’t be avoided.
• Discover Adventure and Meaning in the Wilderness. Teen coaching is not limited to the confines of an office! The outdoors can be a great place to relax, let go of the stress of the day, and figure out what is really important.
Dan Entmacher MA, LPC